Marcus's Reviews > Darkness, Take My Hand

M 50x66
Dec 14, 2011

bookshelves: crime, serial-killers
Read from December 01 to 14, 2011

I've got to say that I am jumping of joy over the fact that I stumbled over Dennis Lehane and Kenzie-Gennaro book cycle. You see, I'm not really an avid crime fiction reader and when I choose to read one of those books I'm having some requirements. First and foremost being that the main characters need to have depth. So after I read "The Drink Before The War", I was intrigued, but I wasn't hooked. This book however got me all in, hook, line, and sinker. It fills in most of the blanks in the relations established in first book and makes Patrick and Angie into your dear friends.

As an added bonus, the crime tale of the book is pretty good too. Devious serial killers are (sadly) always fascinating to follow, but what's more important, the author is quite happy to challenge our heroes on the ethical plane. There isn't much black and white in this book, only shades of gray, most of the time very dark gray, on all involved sides. It's this kind of added dimension that made Connelly's Harry Bosh into one of my favorite characters and Lehany's pair of private dicks is quickly becoming as appreciated as my favorite police detective.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkness, Take My Hand.