Gewbook's Reviews > The Scorpio Races

U_50x66
Jun 06, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, great-ya-reading
Read from June 04 to 05, 2012

This got 3 stars instead of 4 because the more I think about it the more annoyed I am about the ending and who got what they wanted/needed and who won the race. I understand from an overwrought teen drama story perspective why this had to be, but the rest of the book didn't read as that kind of story so I was disappointed when the ending devolved into a sacrifice-for-love cliche.

Things I liked were the setting, which I thought was terrifically realized and really came to life for me. The atmospheric quality of the writing and the storytelling which both supported and fed on the setting/world created. The island felt genuinely isolated and different from anything else without ever having to describe anywhere else. And my favorite character helped with that - George Holly. He made no apologies about being who he was and where he was at any given moment he appeared. I liked his story line, I liked his interactions with Sean. Also, I kept imagining him as Robert Downey Jr., which didn't hurt anything at all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scorpio Races.