Hannah's Reviews > The Highlander's Touch

The Highlander's Touch by Karen Marie Moning

Dec 09, 11

bookshelves: audio, paranormal-romance, read-2011, romance, time-travel, fake-marriage-engagement, stupidity-as-plot-device
Read from December 01 to 08, 2011

Most of this book is supposedly set in the 14th century, but it is positively rife with historical inaccuracies. For instance, most of the action in the second half of the book takes place in Brodie Castle. However, while the land on which Brodie Castle now stands has been associated with the Brodie Clan since the 12th century, the original castle was not built until the late 16th century. That is only one among dozens of historical facts that Karen Marie Moning blithely disregards in her novel. I can only assume that she didn't bother to conduct any research before she started writing.

My second major grievance against this novel (and its author) is that its heroine, Lisa, is as dumb as a rock and even less interesting. It's not merely that she endangers herself because she's too stupid to live (although that's true, too). It's that she's just dumb. Not smart. Slow on the uptake. And the fact that the hero, Circenn, continues to believe that she's intelligent while faced with mounting evidence to the contrary just proves that's he's mentally deficient too. Any children deriving from this union of imbeciles are going to have special needs.

The list of this novel's deficiencies could go on forever. For an entertaining and comprehensive diatribe on the subject, please read Zosia's review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Highlander's Touch.

12/02/2011 "Oh god, this is rough going. The blatant historic inaccuracies are bad enough, but the clinical stupidity of the heroine is even worse. Not sure I can get through this one."
12/05/2011 "With three hours left to go, I've given up on the audiobook. I'll check the paperback out of the library and skim the rest, mainly because I can't stand leaving books unfinished. But there is no way I'm going to put up with these characters for three more hours."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Carrie I read most of Zosia's review. Too funny!

Breeze talk about missing the aisle, history section to the left. sexy highlander to the right. You'll figure it out hannah

Hannah Hilary wrote: "talk about missing the aisle, history section to the left. sexy highlander to the right. You'll figure it out hannah"

I couldn't disagree with you more, actually. Good fiction authors do their homework.

Laura MacIntosh No offense but...when slamming an author's (allegedly) inaccurate historical references and claiming her character is really unintelligent, one should probably not use words that don't exist like "supposively."

Hannah Laura wrote: "No offense but...when slamming an author's (allegedly) inaccurate historical references and claiming her character is really unintelligent, one should probably not use words that don't exist like "..."

You're probably right. Edited. Thanks for the heads up.

Adria I totally agree with you. When I read this book I couldn't stand Lisa's stupidity.