Erin Forson's Reviews > Appaloosa

Appaloosa by Robert B. Parker

Dec 01, 2011

Appaloosa
by Robert B. Parker
I admit, I haven’t read a whole lot of westerns, but I thought I would give this best-sellling novelist a try. The novel begins with gunslinger Everett Hitch, the wandering type— that is until he stumbles into a dusty town and meets the stoic Virgil Cole. Cole is a man of honor, and Everett can see that. That is why when the two are approached to become sherriff and deputy in Appaloosa, a town plagued by the shifty rancher, Randall Bragg, Everett doesn’t even think twice about signing on with Virgil. But Appaloosa has suprises for the pair. Virgil, a man of integrity, falls for a pretty widow who threatens to destroy him, and Everett is forced to make a difficult decision that may destroy their friendship forever. Readers will relate to Everett’s dilemma at the same time they curse the loveable Virgil. Told in simple, clear prose, with plenty of action (even if the action is somewhat typical of westerns), and villians readers will love to hate, this western is sure to please—even if you haven’t read a whole lot of westerns.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Appaloosa.