Jeffrey Sosa's Reviews > The White Darkness

The White Darkness by Geraldine McCaughrean

M_50x66
Dec 01, 11

bookshelves: english-420

This young adult novel is about Sym, a fourteen-year-old girl, and her “uncle” Victor, a family friend and business partner of Sym’s now deceased father, as they go on an adventure to Antarctica. During this adventure, you begin to suspect (along with Sym) the crazy nature of the trip and Victor’s true intentions as they struggle for survival. As event unfolds you slowly learn more about each character, and how Sym eventually becomes her own person and grows out of her ignorant, obsessive state that she is found at the beginning of the novel. Overall, this was just not my kind of book. The writing in it is terrific, but I could not connect with the characters or plot. Both elements are intriguing, but I thought that they were completely unrealistic. The entire time while reading this novel, I could not stop thinking about how many flaws I saw in it, and I kept wondering why so many other people quite enjoy it. I can see the elements that contribute to its Printz award, yet this novel just didn’t go well with me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The White Darkness.