Megatherium's Reviews > Send in the Idiots: Stories from the Other Side of Autism

Send in the Idiots by Kamran Nazeer

Dec 01, 11

bookshelves: 2011, biography, borrowed, autism-spectrum, psychology
Read in December, 2011

Some people on the ASD fail. Some succeed. That's about as profound as this one gets.

And quite frankly too little time was spent on any one character for me to feel any particular sympathy or empathy for any of them. This book seemed to degenerate into the literary equivalent of channel surfing. Suicidal soap opera *flip* successful speech writer *flip* puppet obsessed computer genius that you would do well to avoid spilling your milkshake on *flip* gay ASD bicycle messenger under thumb of controlling lover...and on and on. Maybe Nazeer's problem isn't so much ASD as ADHD-Combined?

And I'm still trying to figure out what the heck the "other side" of the other side is. It certainly can't be that there haven't been enough "tell all" biographies from just about every point on the spectrum. And even beyond, given the way authors (including Nazeer) continue to insist Kim Peek was autistic when he wasn't. (In fact, some days I feel like just about the only human on the spectrum who HASN'T done that tell all that's sure to bring fame and fortune. For a substantial advance and no due date...well, I'll take the idea under advisement. Once the check clears.)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Send in the Idiots.