Lisa's Reviews > Breathers: A Zombie's Lament

Breathers by S.G. Browne

Dec 05, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reading-challenge, horror, zombies
Read from December 01 to 04, 2011

Certainly a new twist on the road through Zombieland, and one that I enjoyed for the most part. Our "hero", Andy, is a newly deceased and reanimated member of the Undead (read: zombie). Due to societal disdain of the Undead, he is relegated to living in his parents basement, stripped of all rights, and with no outlet but his Zombie Support Group.

However (and isn't there always a however), the whole treatment of Zombies by the Breathers (regular living folks) was fraught with problems. First, I find that, while yes, most people would be rather repelled by the rotting corpse of the deceased child returning to live with them, there would certainly be some joy in it as well. If Andy was simply a moaning groaning regular zombie, ok, but he is not. He has the whole range of emotions: love, joy, remorse, hope. And he expresses them. His parents know that their son is still in there, despite his rotting appearance and unpleasant aroma. But they treat him with the not with happiness that their has returned from the dead, but with absolute disgust. By and large, this is how Andy is treated by all Breathers to an absurd level. The Undead are worse than lepers and with even less rights. I did not buy it. Sorry. No. There never is offered any explanation as to why people acted the way they did towards the Undead, other than that most information was gleaned from watching movies such as "Night of the Living Dead." Huh? We got flesh eating zombies that have been around since the Civil War and that 1 out of every 200 corpses reanimate, nobody, including the government, knows much about them. Don’t buy it. I think that the author really missed an opportunity here to expand on several subjects, but hey that was his call….

My only other issue is that throughout the book, Andy will state "If you have never [insert strange event of your choosing], then you probably wouldn't understand." Ugh! Alright, the first couple times were fine, but it appeared at least a dozen times. This to me is a writing cop out. Annoying.

But at the end of the day, and despites its faults, I liked the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breathers.