Connie's Reviews > Bad Twin

Bad Twin by Gary Troup

Jan 22, 14

bookshelves: lost-lit, fiction
Recommended for: Masochists and maybe die-hard Lost fans with a lot of patience
Read in July, 2008

This was the longest 270 page book I have ever read. It just dragged. I found I was doing everything I could to avoid sitting down and reading it. If it weren’t for the whole Lost Experience (and Sawyer’s Book Group) I wouldn’t have bothered. Even then this book was nothing but a bunch of “Easter Eggs." I felt insulted as a reader by being beaten over the head by certain themes throughout the story. The book itself is poorly written. The word “trite" comes to mind. Characters were overdrawn, the plot was weak---and don’t even get me started on the dialogue! I can see why even the author is fictional, because I wouldn’t want to put my name to this one either. I'm interested to know who wrote this garbage; it certainly couldn't be the brilliant writers of Lost.

Addendum to the above:

It occurs to me that I might have taken this book too seriously. There is a novel frequently referenced in Bad Twin, titled "Trent's Last Case." It sounded intriguing so I looked it up on Amazon. The product description sites it as being a spoof on the genre and not to be taken as a serious detective novel. Perhaps this was a clue. Was Bad Twin intentionally written badly? If so, it would have been nice to know that up front. Instead, I just ended up feeling like the victim of a bad marketing ploy.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bad Twin.