Kadrian's Reviews > Santa Cruise: A Holiday Mystery at Sea

Santa Cruise by Mary Higgins Clark

U_50x66
Dec 01, 11

Read in November, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Spoiler Alert!
Santa Cruise combines the mother daughter duo of Mary and Carol Higgins Clark. In Santa Cruise, the two authors bring characters from their own series together to enjoy a warm cruise and escape the cold New York City winter. This book brings together Mary Higgins Clark’s two favorite lottery winners Alvirah and Willy Meehan and their good friends Carol Higgins Clark’s Regan, Jack, Nora and Luke Reilly. In Santa Cruise, this group planned on enjoying the sun and each other’s company but find themselves searching for escaped convicts instead! Luckily in the end they not only find escaped convicts, but more criminals and a stolen jewelry box.
I love Mary and Carol Higgins Clark books, they are my favorite authors and I never want to put their books down. One of my favorite parts of Santa Cruise was when Alvirah, my favorite and the funniest amateur sleuth ever, decides to capture escaped convicts on her own and ends up being captured by them. Yet she managed to escape and was almost shot, on page 249, “It’s now or never… she held her nose and jumped. Immediately before she hit the water, she heard a bullet whistle past her ear. That was close, she thought, but no bull’s-eye.” I especially like this quote because it shows just how fierce and fearless Alvirah is and why she is my favorite character.
Another favorite quote of mine occurred when Fredericka who has been driving the owner of the boat crazy, saved the day. “…annoyed that her singing had been interrupted, stuck out her foot….the box flew from his grasp.” (Page 256). I really like this quote because it shows the reader that we must always expect the unexpected and Fredericka was the unexpected hero. She was the unexpected hero because she stopped thieves from re-stealing an already stolen jewelry box.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Santa Cruise.