Dolly's Reviews > Marvelous Mattie: How Margaret E. Knight Became an Inventor

Marvelous Mattie by Emily Arnold McCully

1019021
Dec 01, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, childrens, education-school, new-england, nonfiction, science, math, biography, picture-book-club
Recommended for: parents reading with their children
Read on November 28, 2011 , read count: 1

This is a fascinating story about a young girl who had a flair and creative genius for inventing machines and other things like kites. It's a true story and shows her successes, but also her struggles, especially being dismissed as a woman inventor. The watercolor illustrations have an old-fashioned feel and complement the story nicely.

I love that it shows how she created a paper bag-making machine that could cut and glue a square-bottomed bag; my parents worked for many, many years (until it shut down) at a paper bag factory in my hometown in New England (Bemis Company, Inc.) It's a different company than the Eastern Paper Bag Company that Mattie founded, but I'm sure that somehow her invention had a wide-spread influence throughout the industry.

This book was featured as one of the selections for the November 2011 Inventors-themed reads for the Picture-Book Club in the Children's Books Group here at Goodreads. I doubt that I would have discovered this book on my own, so I'm very glad that it was chosen through this book club. We really enjoyed reading this story together!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marvelous Mattie.