gina's Reviews > The Proper Care and Feeding of Marriage

Dec 01, 11

bookshelves: audiobook, relationships
Read in December, 2011

Okay... where to start.
First, let me say that you NEED to learn about Schlessinger's past before listening/reading her work. She is totally hypocritical as far as I can see. She acts as though she's coming from a place upon high (no errors, no faults). But then HOLY MOLY! when you learn about the affairs, married men, naked pictures, divorces, refusing to talk to her mother/family for decades, etc. it... well... it puts it into perspective what a two faced bitch she really is.

I don't mind people making mistakes and going on to tell people "here, don't make these mistakes." But I prefer them to actually admit and reference their own mistakes as a jumping off point. Not act all "I've never sinned or done wrong in my life".

That said, despite her own dark and scary skeletons she has some good advice (and some bad) in here. She basically says that you can never change any one elses behavior, just your own (true), so in any given situation you must be the one to sacrifice and do the right thing with your spouse, even if you aren't the one necessarily "at blame" because it's not about blame, it's about being kind and loving and being a team (okay, sounds good). But it is delivered to the recipient in a sharp angry white woman way. It really bothered me how mean she sounded. But maybe some of these women need a sharp kick in the butt to get their marriages in gear.

Complaints: she over emphasizes that men are never (if ever) wrong and we women are the cause of most problems. Wow. Just...wow. She also writes this book almost *exclusively* for women who DO NOT WORK. Let me repeat this....almost all of the advice and commentary is made under the assumption that the women are not working. And if you *are* working then you are a selfish bad woman who is greedy, neglectful, and keeping her man from living out his full potential. Um... yeah. She is very clear that women should be at home cleaning and cooking and being domestic and loving centers of their homes, raising children. Even though she has not done this herself... Hypocritical anyone?

I felt at a loss to carry through most of her advice as I work, and therefore cannot do the things she advises non working women to do to take care of their families/husbands/homes. I don't have time for those things.

So to end this review, if you are a christian, stay at home wife/mother then this is the book for you! Otherwise... you might be able to pick up a few swift kick in the butts about certain behaviors about how to improve your marriage, but mostly you'll just end up feeling guilty that you aren't a stay at home wife and mother barely scraping by....this advice coming of course from a Rich, Extremely success driving working mother, who is married to a rich guy, and she certainly never has to worry about being home all day and scraping by.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Proper Care and Feeding of Marriage.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by jess (new)

jess I have been a doctor laura anti-fan for many years now, but I applaud your persistence to actually get through one of her books. You listened to the audio book -- did she actually read it? Her voice is such a harpy voice.

gina no, she didnt thank god. I have heard this reader before and she is very good. I was shocked anyone that good was willing to read it.