Brad's Reviews > The Walking Dead, Vol. 07: The Calm Before

The Walking Dead, Vol. 07 by Robert Kirkman

Dec 02, 11

bookshelves: zombies, graphic-novel, comic-books
Read from December 01 to 02, 2011, read count: 1

While my enjoyment of The Calm Before is way down compared to the other installments I've read of The Walking Dead, I think there was a real story telling wisdom behind the lull in action crafted by Robert Kirkman.

Our crew of survivors are still hanging out in the prison, and time goes by -- for the characters -- rather quickly. Some shit happens: Lori give birth to Judith; Dale loses his foot (the first successful amputation of a Zombie infected limb) and starts to suspect Andrea and Tyreese or bumping uglies; Glen and Maggie decide to start making their own babies; Carol ends her whinging with a Zombie embrace (such a cool way to go in Zombie world); and a bunch of our Survivors raid a National Guard base for gas, guns and ammo and a Wal-Mart for canned goods.

Then they wander around and pontificate while eating Herschel's fresh produce; or they practice shooting the Roamers while convincing themselves that the Governor and the folks of Woodbury will surely leave them alone; or they descend a little further into madness. But for the reader this is all slow, slow going.

Which is probably good because this installment ends with the Governor riding in, one-armed, on a tank with his own little battalion of humans to take over the prison. I think we needed this break, boring though it is, before we are Made to Suffer. I hope it all picks up again, though, because I've not been a fan of the last 10 issues. Maybe the death of the Governor, if that's what's coming, will perk me up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Walking Dead, Vol. 07.