Jennifer's Reviews > Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Dec 01, 11

bookshelves: literary-sf-fantasy

I did like this novel. The concept is a neat one (although perhaps not entirely original -- parallels to "X-Men" are hard to avoid) and the story is very deftly plotted. I found myself reading this book very fast because I wanted to find out what happened next. I will say that some reviewers praised the "evocative language" in the book and I don't necessarily agree with that assessment. The language seemed more purely functional -- furthering the plot. The real haunting aspect of the book is the photographs, which are apparently real, found objects -- not created for the book and minimally altered. I was disappointed by the ending of the book; it just cuts off. I'm all for ambiguous endings and such, when it seems to make sense give the plot/themes of a book... but in this case, it almost seemed like this was the end of Book 1 of a trilogy or something: it feels that abruptly chopped off at the end. (I even went back to Amazon to read the description to see if it was indeed the first volume of a projected series, which doesn't seem to be the case.)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children.