Deb 's Reviews > The Invention of Hugo Cabret

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

Dec 01, 11

bookshelves: 2011-books-read, middle-school-kids-ya-books
Read on December 01, 2011

This is such a different book, and I loved it! First of all, a 500 page book may seem daunting, until you realize that many of the pages are absolutely fantastic drawings. You have to really look at the drawings because they help tell the story.

Hugo Cabret is an orphan living in a train station in France. His uncle had been taking care of him and had been training him as an apprentice responsible for keeping all the station's clocks in running order. His uncle is missing so Hugo has been attempting to do his uncle's job and keep his disappearance a secret. Hugo's father was a clockmaker interested in all aspects of clockworks, and had discovered a broken automaton which he was trying to repair. Hugo is now trying to repair it. He steals parts from a toymaker who has a stall in the shop but is discovered. Complications arise when the toymaker confiscates Hugo's prized notebook, and then Hugo discovers a huge secret involving the toymaker.

The drawings in the book (pencil?) are detailed and draw you into the story. As I was reading this book today in class during our independent reading time, one of my students approached my desk. He asked me how I liked the book. He them went to say it was one of the best books he'd read in a long time, and then starting talking about the drawings. I'm planning to share this book with the rest of my class during my next book talk. It's really good!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invention of Hugo Cabret.

12/01/2011 page 25