Eunice's Reviews > Everneath

Everneath by Brodi Ashton

May 07, 12

bookshelves: out-2012, damn-gorgeous-males, death-tragedy-suicide, cool-covers, favourites, i-cried-over, paranormal, re-telling, struggled, tear-jerking, ya-romance, young-adult
Read from April 28 to May 01, 2012 — I own a copy

3.75-4 stars
“Stay with me, Becks. Dream of me. I am ever yours.”

It's very rare of me to cry over a paranormal book, it's not that they don't reach me deep down, it's just that I'm always busy figuring out twists and puzzles and how they would survive over those paranormal obstacles. And yes, of course, I do swoon over the romantic and sweet moments. I go gaga over those heroes' heroic deeds and sacrifices just to save their significant someone and prove how much they mean to them and love them and whenever they say the sweetest things, I just melt. But no one has ever struck me as much as Jack's love for Nikki! It was hauntingly beautiful, heart warming and real. It din't just had me swooning but it also reached me and tugged my heart in the most amazing and heartrending way.

This was a mixture of the story of Persephone and Hades, Orpheus and Euridyce and a twist of some Egyptian mythology. And sure enough that made this book really unique and interesting. When I started this I was instantly swallowed by Nikki's voice and emotion. It was heavy and intense, I felt her grieves, and regrets and it just made my heart ache for her. Still there were times that I love her and times that I hate her. But as she started taking actions and as she developed throughout the story she became a very admirable and amazing character.

Even though I was extremely touched by this book and although I really did enjoy it I still had some frustrations over it. I could understand Nikki's flaws and misguided choices but it doesn't mean I have to like it. There was this point that I wanted to tell she's so stupid! And although she did admit that it was her own doing that ruined her life and that she regretted it I was still a bit annoyed with her since she didn't exactly do anything right away when she came back. It was frustrating especially there with Cole, I wanted to shake her so bad and beg her to please get really angry at Cole! Around the middle part of the book I was really hopeless about her and Jack. So I was really glad when things finally started picking up around the later parts. That was the most exciting and interesting parts. Where twist and secrets were revealed and when Nikki finally started standing up and fighting for herself and Jack.

Jack. He's the most sweetest and most committed guy I'd ever met! I don't know if I there's anything negative I can say about him. He's a very patient, faithful and loving character. It literally broke my heart when I learned all the hardships he'd been through. There's no word for me to describe how strong his feelings for Nikki. All those things he's done to save Nikki is just downright amazing and heart warming. And whenever Jack is present you could clearly see the love in him. (view spoiler)

As for Cole, he's annoying and I just wanted him to go far far away but in all honesty I could say he's pretty endearing and intriguing. There were some parts that showed that he could be really kind and good but with all those things he did to Nikki, how he manipulated her I just can't seem really like him.

This was a very unique and wonderful paranormal book with a very heartwarming and moving love story. The characters were great and endearing and I was deeply touched by them and their story. I would definitely love to recommend this to everyone.

This review is also posted at Book Overdose

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everneath.

Quotes Eunice Liked

Brodi Ashton
“Heroes are made by the paths they choose, not the powers they are graced with.”

Brodi Ashton
“Remembering is easy. It's forgetting that's hard.”

Brodi Ashton
“I was in the neighborhood," he said, answering the question I was about to ask. His lips twitched. "You know, wandering around, trying to be a hero.”

Brodi Ashton
“He leaned forward and said, "Tell me, friend. Is there more for us?"

I looked down at my feet. "There's everything for us.”

Brodi Ashton
“We’d both been stripped of all the evasiveness, all the lies, everything we’d ever kept from each other. Layer by layer, we had given up our defenses and our excuses and our demands for whys and hows, and what was left were two broken beings. Clinging to one last shred of hope. Tethered to each other.”

Brodi Ashton
“I didnt tell him I'd thought of him every day. That even when every other memory had faded, he never left. - Nikki”
tags: love

Brodi Ashton
“Stay with me, Becks. Dream of me. I am ever yours.”

dateDown_arrow    newest »

♥Rachel♥ I loved this one too, Eunice! Looking forward to your review. :)

Eunice Oh, Rachel, I so love it too! The ending made me cry! I thought this was a one-shot book so I was really happy when I learned there would be a sequel! I need Jack now! lol! :)))

Mimi Valentine I know!! Oh, that ending! OH, JACK! <3 He's seriously one of the sweetest boys I've ever met in YA, and YA is notorious for their sweet boys! :')

Eunice Oh yes! Jack is like seriously the sweetest boy I'd ever met. Whenever I remember all those things he's been through and he never once gave up, I just melt. And that sacrifice in the end, Ohmygod! It was just so effin' wonderful and heartwarming. God, I would die to have someone like him! :))

message 5: by Mimi (last edited May 02, 2012 01:06PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Valentine LOL I know, right?? But the guys in my grade aren't nearly as sweet as Jack is haha... I guess that's why we read x)

Eunice Haha! Yeah, I totally agree. We find the best guys in books. lol! :))

Jasprit Great review Eunice! But oh no this book made you cry? Endless sobbing or just a few tears? I've been meaning to read this for a while now but I don't think I'd be able to cope right now, plus I've heard this ends in a terrible cliffhanger :(

♥Rachel♥ Oh Eunice! I cried too! I cried I think more in the beginning and middle, though. I loved their romance. But at the beginning it was so haunting and sad. (view spoiler)

message 9: by YaReads (new) - added it

YaReads Kikamack Wow!!! Definitely adding to my to-read list!!!!!!

message 10: by Eunice (last edited May 07, 2012 07:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eunice Thank you, Jasprit! Just a few fat tears by the end. Haha! I was just really touched and moved. I thought there wouldn't be a sequel so I was really sad, I thought that was just the end of the story. Haha! The ending was sort of a cliffhanger but it was beautiful. Read it! Read it! XD

Hi Rachel! When I started it I immediately feel sad about Nikki! It was indeed haunting and sad. (view spoiler)

Hi YaReads! Yay! It was a very good read. Hope you'll like it too! :))

Atmika Great review!
I agree with all you said. The ending made me so sad. I just wish I had the next book now.