Rebecca's Reviews > The Pope & the CEO: John Paul II's Leadership Lessons to a Young Swiss Guard

The Pope & the CEO by Andreas Widmer

Dec 19, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: first-reads, auto-biography, non-fiction
Read from December 13 to 19, 2011

Now I'm not a catholic and I'm certainly not a CEO but I was very pleased when the "You're a goodreads winner" email dropped in with notice about this book. And that's because I am intrigued by Pope John Paul II. I can't help but be fascinated by a man who just seemed so, well simply put, good.

This book gave me a taste, but probably against it's own values it tempts me. I want more. I loved the stories about the Pope's daily lives and his dealings with the Swiss Guards and how that can transfer across to your daily working life. And there was a bit of that, but just not enough. I know that Andreas Widmer has some amazing stories, even those that seem mundane to him and I wanted to know more about his current work and those failures he's had prior to this current business.

This was a bit of a surprise self-help book really and I wasn't expecting it. I'm not sure whether I failed to read the giveaway details properly or whether it's just not wholly clear, but I wasn't ever going to do the end-of-chapter reflection exercises, though I did read them and think about them.

My mum is going to love this book. She's a catholic convert and I know it'll give her many talking points, it's already been a discussion between me and many people, because if you just take one lesson from it about how to be a better person, then as far as I'm concerned, this book has done it's job. Pope John Paul II said "Whatever you shall be in life, whichever calling you choose, remember, that the fundamental calling of a human being is to have humanity." He puts it far more eloquently than my base level of belief, the single rule of Beckyism - "Don't be a shit to people". Either way works for me.

And now I'm done being preachy.

I won this book through Goodreads FirstReads and would like to thank Andreas Widmer for his book and kind message.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pope & the CEO.

12/14/2011 page 10