Sarah's Reviews > Demons Are a Girl's Best Friend

Demons Are a Girl's Best Friend by Linda Wisdom

Nov 30, 11

bookshelves: paranormal-romance
Read in November, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

As this is my first Linda Wisdom book, I have to ask you fellow readers if she always has heroines who are inconsistently developed. That was my biggest complaint about this book - the experience and knowledge that Maggie had supposedly accumulated over 700 years of living wasn't really in evidence throughout much of this book. She didn't seem to be particularly knowledgeable about anything that was divulged to the reader specifically. Her magic seems almost spur of the moment rhymes, or semi-rhymes, and a wave of her hand. Did she have to study to get her magic under control to that point? Or is magic just that easy? If it's that easy, what makes her special? She also seemed to lose control of herself - and her magic - a lot easier than you'd think a 700+ year old witch should, especially since she is basically a special ops type law enforcer.

I did however like many of the side characters and this world seems interesting, but needs more development since there seems to be some supernatural creatures who are out to the humans and others who are still "hiding" what they are. For me, the side characters and the male love interest made this book enjoyable for me. I enjoyed reading about Maggie's interactions with them more than the main plot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Demons Are a Girl's Best Friend.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cadiva I think part of the problem is that this isn't really book one in a series, it's actually the fifth book about the same bunch of witches thrown out of the academy in 1313. So while they are all stand alone stories (the first two are both about the same witch), there is a lot more background given in the earlier books by the time you get to this particular one.
For some reason Linda Wisdom chose to switch from the Hex named books to this Demon series, I guess because the romantic male leads are now demons.
If you'd read the previous four books you'd have a much clearer idea of their world and how things work.
It's my one criticism of these series of books to be honest, they need to make it clearer they are directly related to the earlier ones.

Sarah Cadiva wrote: "I think part of the problem is that this isn't really book one in a series, it's actually the fifth book about the same bunch of witches thrown out of the academy in 1313. So while they are all sta..."

That actually clears up a lot of things. There was no indicator that I saw that said where in the series it was - I'm sure I could have seen a list of books by Linda Wisdom in either the front or the back of the book, but so much of the time, there's no way to tell series or reading order, or the list is incomplete. I have since read at least one more Linda Wisdom book, and that one had so many problems, I think I'm done :(. In some ways it was better than this one and in others it was worse.

Cadiva I think these are supposed to be considered a "new" series but, unfortunately in my opinion, you do have a far better understanding of the world they're set in from having read the previous.
Personally I don't think either of the demon books are as good as the first four Hex ones but I obviously enjoyed them more having known more about where they were set and the background to the world they were in.
Out of interest, which was the other Linda Wisdom book you read?

Sarah I read A Demon Does it Better. I don't even remember what I liked or disliked about it, that's how much of an impression it made on me. I do remember thinking it was really unlikely that the bad guy would be so completely obvious yet get away with his villainy for so long. It was like everyone who works in the hospital is lacking the brain cells to count to 3.

Cadiva Yes I'd definitely agree with that, it's the weakest of the lot I think.
I would recommend you have a read of the Hex series, they're much better, imho, than these Demon ones. It starts with 50 Ways to Hex Your Lover.

Sarah Thanks, I'll have to see if I can check them out at one of the local libraries.