mark monday's Reviews > Pop. 1280

Pop. 1280 by Jim Thompson

131922
Jun 06, 12

bookshelves: blood-and-danger

hee haw! a rambunctious, heartwarming delight! loveable and sweet-tempered Nick Corey, Sheriff of Potts County, has more problems than you can shake a stick at. poor guy! all he wants to do is kick back and hold on to his dippity-doo-da job not-arresting people. that's not too much to ask, is it? but things are always getting him down. pimps, bitches, and in-laws - the works! what's an amiable, peace-loving soul to do? well, happily, Nick's also a Medici-level manipulator, stone-cold killer, and demented psychopath. whew, close call! Inner Maniac saves the day! or does he?

what i enjoyed most about this grotesque and mordant death-farce was how simultaneously likeable and unlikeable Thompson made Nick. he IS lazy. and petty. and a maniac. but he's so much smarter than anyone else around him and he does such a good job at fooling everyone into thinking he's a useless lackwit that he becomes bizarrely appealing. well, shucks... since Nick is a hideous representation of the cold-blooded reptile mind that exists within us all (including each of the characters in this novel), i suppose i am simply responding to him on a subhuman level, reptile brain to reptile brain. right? or not. who knows, let's just say i was led like a lamb right into uh oh, i'm rooting for the bad guy land.

this is a classic. bleak and misanthropic and evilly hilarious. Jim Thompson hates humans. Humans Off Earth Now!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pop. 1280.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mohammed "evilly hilarious" sums up this novel perfectly.

I actually felt alittle guilty i thought Nick was funny and sometimes forgot what twisted killer he was.

mark monday exactly how i felt!

message 3: by Alex (new)

Alex Flynn Reading this my first thought was that sounds a lot like The Killer Inside Me, before realizing it was the same author. I guess he knows what he's good at writing.

mark monday i love that one too. although "love" is a strange word to use in reference in Thompson.

message 5: by James (new)

James Thane A truly great, twisted character!

message 6: by Terry (new) - added it

Terry This sounds hilarious...in an evil and chilling way.

mark monday Terry you need to read it! also, read Mike Puma's review, which is quite nice.

"quite nice"... probably not the right phrase to associate with Jim Thompson.

Mike Puma mark wrote: "Terry you need to read it! also, read Mike Puma's review, which is quite nice.

"quite nice"... probably not the right phrase to associate with Jim Thompson."

"quite nice" indeed. You can't be talking about me. (thanks for the nod)

mark monday your review inspired me to update my review! which basically amounted to correcting some spelling errors, including what i hope is now the correct spelling of dippity-doo-da.