Nancy's Reviews > An Unexpected Light: Travels in Afghanistan

An Unexpected Light by Jason Elliot

Nov 30, 2011

bookshelves: afghanistan
Read from April 16 to June 23, 2012

I loved this book because I spent time in Afghanistan in 1973. Jason Elliot was born in 1975 and spent time in Afghanistan in 1994 when he was 19 and 2004 when he was 29. I was 18 when I was in Afghanistan. I was there the year before the King was deposed and the political climate totally changed.

What I loved about this book is the fact that by reading Jason Elliot's take so many years later, I realize and appreciate the fact that I really got Afghanistan as an 18 year old. So much of what he sees and loves is what I saw and loved too.

I read the book on Kobo and never knew how far into the book I was, how much was left ahead, etc. and that took something away from reading it for me. I couldn't see the photos on Kobo, but could on my ipad. But really wish I had read the paper version of this book.

I learned tons about the history.

A wonderful read - but I qualify to say that had I not travelled to Afghanistan and loved the country and the people so much, I likely wouldn't have made it through this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Unexpected Light.