Lara's Reviews > The Widow And Her Hero

The Widow And Her Hero by Thomas Keneally

Nov 30, 2011

bookshelves: audiobooks, read-in-2012
Read from January 31 to February 07, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

Looks like most people haven't been terribly impressed by this one, but I really enjoyed it. I'm not entirely sure what folks were expecting, but having read another of Keneally's books (Victim of the Aurora), I knew I was probably in for a quiet and very convincing piece of historical fiction, and I wasn't disappointed one bit.

80-something-year-old Grace tells the story of her life with Leo, from courtship to marriage to widowhood, and of Leo's involvement with one Major Doucette and his obsession with dangerous missions to Singapore. It's a story of love and war and heroism and, maybe, about how the ghosts of your past can follow you for the rest of your life, if you let them.

I listened to the audio version, and Beverly Dunn, who was the voice of Grace, was fantastic--I absolutely loved her. I had a much more difficult time with David Tredinnick's narration for Leo's parts, because he just sounded so much older than I pictured Leo being at the time, and I could never quite reconcile the voice with the words. But there really aren't a whole lot of Leo bits, so it wasn't enough to really detract from the story as a whole.

Anyway, I definitely consider myself a fan of Keneally's at this point, and look forward to reading more of his work!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Widow And Her Hero.