Heidi's Reviews > Cut: The True Story of an Abandoned, Abused Little Girl Who Was Desperate to Be Part of a Family

Cut by Cathy Glass

Nov 30, 11

Read in December, 2011

I like books about people who overcome terrible childhood experiences and turn their lives around. And I like books about children in foster care who find love and acceptance, or books about teachers who manage to break through to a special-needs child, or books about an adult whose life was enriched, not destroyed, by unusual experiences in childhood. I find these books inspiring.

But I don't like the books that give gory details about abuse. I understand that it happens, but I prefer the books that acknowledge a bad past with a few sentences and then move on.

I've found that Cathy Glass walks this line very well, and I've kind of been on a Cathy Glass kick since discovering her books a few months ago. Cathy is a foster carer living somewhere in Britain, and her books are based on her own experiences. Children come to her angry, depressed, and hurt. She tries to help them put themselves back together.

Despite the long and overly dramatic title, this was a low-key sort of story about a 13-year-old, Dawn, who comes to live with Cathy and her family. Dawn is used to having complete freedom and runs wild, although she gradually accepts the structure that Cathy and John give her. Dawn also drinks, lies, and cuts herself. But slowly and eventually, she begins to find peace.

7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cut.