Morgan: Read, Eat, Dream's Reviews > Torn

Mar 13, 12

bookshelves: 3-stars
Read in December, 2011

Negatives:
1) I am still a Demon Kissed fan, but the last two books, Cursed and Torn, haven’t been up to par with the first novel in this series, Demon Kissed. Now that we are three books into this series, I feel like there should be a lot more progress with Ivy’s characters. I want to read about a strong, positive heroine, but Ivy is still the same whiny and impossible girl. I understood and forgave Ivy for her behavior in the first novel because she had just discovered she was half demon- half angel and everyone wanted her dead. That’s a lot to take on. I understood her anger, tears, and woe is me attitude. However, I expected a lot more improvement with her character by now. Ivy- It is time to step up, kick butt, and take names! Get with it girl!

2)The beginning of this novel was a tad repetitive. Like I mentioned in my review of Cursed, Ward has a tendency to repeat a lot of things from her previous novels. Because I read the first three novels back- to-back, the repetition caused the beginning of this novel to drag on. I might have welcomed the recap if I had waited a few months in between reading each novel, but I didn’t. In my opinion, authors need to find a happy medium here; refresh your readers, but don’t go overboard in case they are reading your series continuously.

Positives:
1) One thing I've implied but haven't directly praised is Wards ability to shock me, which isn’t an easy thing to do. A lot of authors lead you to the conclusion; they color their pages with hints and foreshadowing. Some authors only give you small clues; some authors are so obvious an eight-year-old could figure things out. Ward doesn't even give you a teeny tiny hint as to what’s going to come next. Every time I pick up a new book, I am amazed by her vision and her creativity. I can honestly say that I haven’t been able to predict any of the SHOCKERS in this series.

2) There was a new character in this novel that I really enjoyed, and I’d like to see more of him in the future. His character added humor and a much needed kick in the butt. Ward did a fabulous job creating his character because I felt calm and peaceful when he was around. (I’m being vague on purpose. His character isn’t a big part of this novel, but I still don’t want to ruin anything.)

3) Things really heated up during the last half of this novel. It’s was surprising and action-packed.

4) I loved that Ivy and Collin have more time together than in Cursed. I was really hoping that would happen.

I gave Torn by H.M. Ward 3 STARS. Torn was a little better than Cursed, but not as good as Demon Kissed. I look forward to reading Satan’s Stone; I really hope it knocks me off my feet the same way Demon Kissed did.

Ward has two more novels and their publication dates listed on her website. Does anyone know if The 13thProphecy is the final book in this series? I'm curious.

-XOXO

READING, EATING AND DREAMING
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Torn.