Beau's Reviews > Man from Mundania

Man from Mundania by Piers Anthony

Nov 30, 11

I read the Xanth books a lot when I was younger and really enjoyed them. I liked the puns, the magic, the world, etc. As the series got longer though, it lost some of its creativity and magic, and started to feel phoned in...or maybe I got older.

This book, however, I really enjoyed, except for one major point. It's been many years since I read it, so my facts about characters and specifics is skewed, but one thing I remember the most from this book was a lack of continuity between it and the earlier books in the series.

From what I remember, the man from Mundania ended up having powerful talents and you find out its because his parents were some banished powerful talented people. I may be getting stories confused though. Anyways, I remember back when I was young and reading this series religiously, that about this time, story continuity for older and early characters was skewed greatly. Major players who had died in the first 5 books, showed up as live parents or characters in the later books, and their story was different than it had actually happened a few books earlier. That annoyed me a lot.

I only read the series for a few more books past this one before losing interest. The first 5 books were definitely worth reading. Same goes for Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, you have to read at least the first handful to get a good appreciation for the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Man from Mundania.