Daniel's Reviews > The Bachelors

The Bachelors by Muriel Spark

Jan 01, 12

Read from November 30 to December 07, 2011

Muriel Spark: I am so glad that your books are now in my life.

"The Bachelors" snuck up on me with the unassuming air of a well-written little tale of British Manners. Before I knew it, the characters were embroiled in a thick pot of plot involving manslaughter, cross and double-cross, occult beliefs, disguises, and a constellation of licentious affairs. I remember shaking my head at one point and thinking, "How in the hell did we get here?"

My friend D_Davis wrote an excellent review for Spark's "The Comforters," in which he compares Spark's stories to those of Philip K. Dick. Having read "The Bachelors," I see these similarities, and I agree: Spark knows how to distill a character's motivations while spinning a zany yarn.

This is the kind of book that I will recommend to many people in the years to come--even if I'll be hard-pressed to describe what, exactly, goes on in the book. Then again, I refuse to detract from the gradual sense of discover that Spark cultivates in this wicked little story. If you like good fiction, take the plunge.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bachelors.

11/30/2011 page 30
16.0% "Psychic mediums and mooching bachelors; I have no idea what the hell is going to happen, and I love getting lost in everything as it does happen."
12/05/2011 page 186
100.0% "Wow. This book is supreme. I am so glad that Murial Spark's writing is in my life."
show 1 hidden update…