Maggie V's Reviews > Ward Against Death

Ward Against Death by Melanie Card

Dec 13, 11

bookshelves: action-adventure, ghosts, mystery, witches-magic, ya, fantasy
Read from November 30 to December 08, 2011

I had a difficult time getting into Ward of Death and I place most of the blame on myself. I just wasn’t consistently reading the book so when I went to start I had to keep remembering what had just happened, what Ward and Celia had learned, what background about the world was given and it became tiresome. However, I was a bit confused by (and not that interested in) the explanation of the religion and the Ancient Ones. I would have preferred that to be dispersed a bit more through the story and I felt it was a more of a word dump (BUT I also started reading the book at least a month ago, and the explanation was close to the beginning so my memory of it may be a bit faulty). Along with this, the pacing seemed a little slow until the plot and mystery moved from introduction to action.

On the good side, I loved Ward. I wanted to find out more about his past (what exact crimes did he commit), his magic (I swear there is a bigger mystery there than what was revealed at the end), and just everything. I did like Celia. She was an independent assassin who was surprisingly complex. The mystery about Celia’s death was interesting, and the action scenes were well paced.

I’m not holding my breath for the sequel, but I am considering reading it.

Reviewed ARC from Netgalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ward Against Death.