02malloryl's Reviews > The Boy Who Came Back from Heaven: A Remarkable Account of Miracles, Angels, and Life Beyond This World

The Boy Who Came Back from Heaven by Kevin Malarkey

U_50x66
Dec 18, 11

Read from November 30 to December 16, 2011

The Boy who came back from Heaven is a good book because it is true. The book is about a boy named Alex and his dad Kevin Malarkey. One day they get into a terrible car accident. Kevin is fine, while Alex must be life lighted to a hospital. The rest of the book tells of their experiences in the hospital and the challenges and miracles they receive from it. One of the things I liked best in this book was how Alex always believed. Another thing I liked was how it had other people’s words in it too and not just the authors. Something that I disliked about the book was how it said the same things over and over again. The book was very slow moving and parts felt like all they were doing was preaching to you. This book is either really motivating or really boring and hard to get through.
A great character in this book is Alex. You could tell from the way that the author talks about him, the way others talk about him, and the way that he himself talks that he believed that he saw God and had been to Heaven. This is kind of a religious book, so if you don’t believe in God, then you probably wouldn’t like it. Alex always has such motivation and faith that everyone around him is touched by him. Kevin and Alex did a good job of writing their point of view in this book, as well as the people that only had little parts.
Something that I really liked that the authors did in this book was include quotes from other people who were there. One of my favorites is, “When Alex moves again, we are going to have a bike race.” That was from Alex’s little sister Gracie. The quotes included in the book really helped to tell more of the story than just what the authors saw. Another one of my favorite quotes is, “I think that Alex has gone to be with Jesus.” A friend of the family told Kevin that. That one line really helps to be able to see a main point in the book. The quotes were good, but after about half way through the book, it felt like they were saying the same things over and over again.
Books that give you the same message over and over again are one of my pet peeves. This is one of those books. The entire book is almost preaching to you about how you should believe in God and that this story is true. I don’t know if I believe it or not, but half way through I felt like I couldn’t read anymore of it, because it said the same thing only using different words each time. Another thing that really bothered me was that they could have made this book like 30 pages long. Most of the information that the authors wrote didn’t need to me put in their in order to understand the contents of the book. I really think that the book could have lost about 150 pages and still made perfect sense. The book has some good points, but also many negatives.
I gave this book 3 out of 5 stars because it wasn’t completely terrible, but I can’t say I loved it either. There was a lot of unnecessary information given and some parts felt like you were being preached to. The book did, however, allowed a character named Alex to be known as a believer. There were also some different points of views other than the authors. This book had its ups and downs to it was alright to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boy Who Came Back from Heaven.