Amy Jacobs's Reviews > The Demon Lover

Nov 30, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: books-i-own
Read in November, 2011

This book had such promise for me after reading the summary. I thought it was going to be a paranormal romance with modern and gothic elements woven into the story, but this book was nothing like I expected.

The book starts out slow for me and doesn't pick up much after that. The character of Callie was hard to get attached to in the fact that I couldn't find myself really liking her. I am not sure if it was her personality or the overall writing of this character but Callie never evolved into a true character in my mind. I also felt the cover to be misleading as well. When you look at the cover before reading the summary, you expect it to be young adult. That cover just screams that genre to me. Then when you read the summary, you realize this is in no way a young adult book. The sex scenes involved in this book were poorly executed and just creepy at times. Also, unless you are a fan of heavy narrating, be prepared for quite a bit of story with very little dialogue. Predictability is very prominent in the story as you will have figured out the plot line very early on. So if you are looking for suspense and drama in that aspect, be prepared to be disappointed.

This was one of those books that I had to force myself to finish and it felt like a chore reading it instead of enjoyment. This is book is proof that you can't judge a book by its cover, but also by its summary.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Demon Lover.

08/10/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with you. I couldn't even get through half of this book. I was expecting a paranormal romance, but this was just odd and uninteresting. There was barely any interaction between Callie and any of the other characters during the first 100 pages that I read. This was very disappointing.