Evanston Public Library's Reviews > The Paris Wife

The Paris Wife by Paula McLain

Nov 30, 11

bookshelves: fiction

I have always been interested in The Lost Generation of 1920s Paris and it is played out beautifully in Paula McLain's novel The Paris Wife. The reader is transported into the Paris cafes, post war Europe, and Pamplona bullfighting told from the point of view of Ernest Hemingway's first wife Hadley Richardson.
Hadley and Ernest met in Chicago in 1920 when she was twenty eight and he ten years her junior. After a whirlwind romance they moved to Paris on Sherwood Anderson's recommendation, living off Hadley's small trust fund. As the Hemingway's settle in, the reader is introduced to larger than life literary characters such as James Joyce, Ezra Pound, Gertrude Stein and Alice B. Tolkas, F. Scott Fitzgerald and his wife Zelda.

The Paris Wife immerses the reader in this unique time in literary history while playing out a wrenching love story. The passion, joy, and tension between Ernest and Hadley is palpable and the result is tragically beautiful.

Although their marriage eventually crumbles and Hemingway remarries three move times in his lifetime, he writes of Hadley in A Moveable Feat, his 1966 memoir of their love affair and Paris adventure, "I wished I had died before I ever loved anyone but her."

Rika G.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Paris Wife.

message 1: by Laylla (new) - added it