Imogen's Reviews > A Life Without Consequences

A Life Without Consequences by Stephen Elliott

Jun 13, 08

Read in June, 2008

I never see this anywhere, and it starts at like a dollar on abebooks- I guess because it's early stuff and he doesn't really write about kink? And mostly I, too, am interested in Mr Elliot's stuff about kink- there's one paragraph from Happy Baby that just fuckin haunts me- but I liked this one a lot. It's a funny book, and not the sort of thing that I usually get super sucked into, because it's all about atmosphere, wet blankets and thick snow in Chicago winter, two kids hiding from those elements in an unlocked tool shed, swearing they're in love. That sort of thing.

It's also not as quick a read as the fiction that's come after it- this one's very writerly, whatever that means in 2008. But so you work to get what's going on and then it sticks with you. Also, I was insane, reading it on an airplane between un-restful naps, so my impression of it's maybe a little warped.

Still. Stephen Elliot. Yes.

OH! I just remembered this: it reminded me of the first two Bret Easton Ellis books. In a really good, more concretely plotted way. I like early Bret.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Life Without Consequences.