Kathy's Reviews > Brunelleschi's Dome: How a Renaissance Genius Reinvented Architecture

Brunelleschi's Dome by Ross King

Dec 12, 11

Read from November 30 to December 11, 2011

I read this book for a book group I am in. This is my review to them.

I now have an urge to visit Florence! Despite my initial thoughts about reading it, and disappointment that it wasn't another "Pillars of the Earth" I have enjoyed learning about this dome and about the building methods used. Even learning some history along the way (history was never my subject).
Like others, I am amazed that this building (and of course we're surrounded by old buildings) is still standing 5 centuries later, what an amazing feet. I think it's sad that Fillipo died before the lantern was complete, and I guess that architects/capomeisters (sp) back then knew the project would outlive them.
It was nice this morning (after finishing last night) to Google and look at images of this cathedral. 2 things that particularly caught me were how huge it is within it's landscape and seeing people looking out at Florence from outside the lantern truly added scale finally.
Thank you, not a choice I would have made and I now feel better informed.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brunelleschi's Dome.

message 1: by Harriet (new)

Harriet Florence is glorious. If you have the opportunity to go, do it in late March or early April before the place is clogged with tourists. Find a pension near the train station and then soak up the city. OH, and do more reading yet, before you go about the humanist period (the same period in which the Dome was built) Read everything you can get your hands on about Cosimo the elder. He's really much more interesting than Lorenzo the Magnificent.