Lisa's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

Quotes Lisa Liked

George R.R. Martin
“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.”

George R.R. Martin
“Bran thought about it. 'Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?'
'That is the only time a man can be brave,' his father told him.”

George R.R. Martin
“When you play a game of thrones you win or you die.”

George R.R. Martin
“Fear cuts deeper than swords.”

George R.R. Martin
“Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it.”

George R.R. Martin
“And I have a tender spot in my heart for cripples and bastards and broken things.”
tags: pity

George R.R. Martin
“I swear to you, sitting a throne is a thousand times harder than winning one.”

George R.R. Martin
“A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.”

George R.R. Martin
“...How would you like to die, Tyrion son of Tywin?"
"In my own bed, with a belly full of wine and a maiden's mouth around my cock, at the age of eighty," he replied.”

George R.R. Martin
“You can't hammer tin into iron, no matter how hard you beat it, but that doesn't mean it's useless.”

George R.R. Martin
“They say it grows so cold up here in winter that a man’s laughter freezes in his throat and chokes him to death,” Ned said evenly. “Perhaps that is why the Starks have so little humor.”

George R.R. Martin
“If I took it away, no doubt I'd find a morningstar hidden under your pillow within a fortnight. Try not to stab your sister, whatever the provocation.”
George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones: Book 1 of A Song of Ice and Fire

George R.R. Martin
“Why is it that when one man builds a wall, the next man immediately needs to know what's on the other side?”

George R.R. Martin
“Jon:'What are you doing up there? Why aren't you at the feast?'
Tyrion: 'Too hot, too noisy, and I'd drunk too much wine', the dwarf told him. 'I learned long ago that it is considered rude to vomit on your brother.”

George R.R. Martin
“And pray that he is the man I think he is, he finished silently, and not the man I fear he has become.”
George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones: Book 1 of A Song of Ice and Fire

George R.R. Martin
“All that Syrio Forel had taught her went racing through her head. Swift as a deer. Quiet as shadow. Fear cuts deeper than swords. Quick as a snake. Calm as still water. Fear cuts deeper than swords. Strong as a bear. Fierce as a wolverine. Fear cuts deeper than swords. The man who fears losing has already lost. Fear cuts deeper than swords. Fear cuts deeper than swords. Fear cuts deeper than swords.”

George R.R. Martin
“You make us look bad', complained Toad.
'You looked bad before I ever met you', Jon told him.”

George R.R. Martin
“Shagga son of Dolf likes this not. Shagga will go with the boyman, and if the boyman lies, Shagga will chop off his manhood-"
"-and feed it to the goats, yes," Tyrion said wearily.”

George R.R. Martin
“Opening your eyes is all that is needing. The heart lies and the head plays tricks with us, but the eyes see true. Look with your eyes. Hear with your ears. Taste with your mouth. Smell with your nose. Feel with your skin. Then comes the thinking, afterward, and in that way knowing the truth.”

George R.R. Martin
“She should be on a hill somewhere, under a fruit tree, with the sun and clouds above her and the rain to wash her clean.”

George R.R. Martin
“Be careful you don't cut yourself. The edges are sharp enough to shave with.'
'Girls don't shave', Arya said.
'Maybe they should. Have you ever seen the septa's legs?”

George R.R. Martin
“Her lord father had taught her never to steal, but it was growing harder to remember why.”

George R.R. Martin
“Lord Snow wants to take my place now.' He sneered. 'I'd have an easier time teaching a wolf to juggle than you will training this aurochs.'
'I'll take that wager, Ser Alliser', Jon said. 'I'd love to see Ghost juggle.”

George R.R. Martin
“Nobody likes cravens,” he said uncomfortably. “I wish we hadn’t helped him. What if they think we’re craven too?”
"You're too stupid to be craven,” Pyp told him.
“I am not,” Grenn said.
“Yes you are. If a bear attacked you in the woods, you’d be too stupid to run away.”
“I would not,” Grenn insisted. “I’d run away faster than you.” He stopped suddenly, scowling when he saw Pyp’s grin and realized what he’d just said.”

George R.R. Martin
“Never ask me about Jon; he is my blood and that is all you need to know! Ned was different. He brought his bastard home, and called him son.”

George R.R. Martin
“Some old wounds never truly heal, and bleed again at the slightest word.”

01/13/2012 page 12