Casey's Reviews > Lizards

Lizards by Nic Bishop

Nov 30, 2011

Read in November, 2011

1. Classification: Informational junior book

2. Summary: This book was amazing! Nic Bishop's vivid photographs of lizards and facts will amaze you. I chose this book because lizards freak me out and I was hoping if I learned more I would change my opinion. The largets lizard can grow up to 10 feet. Yikes! I don't think i've changed my mind.

3. Critique:

a.) The most amazing thing about this book would have to be the photographs that Nic Bishop took.

b.) Every photograph is so colorful and vivid it feels like the lizard is jumping off the page!My favorite picture is on page 45. The chameleon is stunning with all of its colors- bright orange, greens and yellows. All of Bishop's photographs make you feel like you could reach out and touch the lizard's skin.

c.) The factual information in this book is also intriguing. I learned so much about lizards from reading this book. For example, the Komodo dragon is the largets lizard growing in size of 10 feet with 2 inch teeth. It's also the world's larget poisoness animal! (page 43). I was amazed by the number of facts on lizards in this book.

4. Curriculum Connection: I would use this book in grades 3-6 and incorporate it into a science lesson on animals. I would discuss how lizards are cold-blooded animals, where they live, what they eat, etc. The students could do some sort of research project or art project. Since lizards are so bright and colorful the students could make a lizard out of colored tissue paper and watered down glue. The students could even do a sand art picture.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lizards.

message 1: by Sue (new)

Sue His books are incredible!! I really like this one and Spiders (and Frogs).