Dolores's Reviews > The Watch That Ends the Night

The Watch That Ends the Night by Allan Wolf

Nov 30, 11

Read in November, 2011

Incredible research and the free verse form combine to put the reader squarely on the deck of the doomed Titanic. You feel the excitement and the hype as the ship prepares to launch; the luxury, pomp and pageantry of the voyage and the growing tension as telegraph after telegraph arrive warning the ship of ice ahead. Of course the ship sails on blithely unaware of the doom that awaits. The characters in the book are real people, and Wolf lets us know when he is inventing and embellishing events. A list of the saved and the lost is provided in the back of the book, and I was devastated to find characters I was becoming so attached to on the list of the lost--even though I knew that the last survivor of these events had died a couple of years ago. Everyone was long dead, but my heart still broke for the people I got to know so well in these pages. The shipwreck is handled beautifully, giving the reader a real feel of the chaos on the deck of the ship and the horror of gathering the dead afterward. Powerful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Watch That Ends the Night.