Nealw's Reviews > Just So Stories

Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling

U_50x66
Nov 30, 11

Kipling writes down stories that follow the oral storytelling tradition from third world cultures. They are rich and relevent even today and contain messages both poignant and silly (often in the same tale).
I checked this out of the library because it was the book for my "polite church ladies book club" for September, but I did read a couple of them aloud to my children, who laughed and asked me to read them again. They enjoyed the tale of how the armidillo was created. It's a trickster tale, which are a favorite of my children. I enjoyed the tale of how the cat was domesticated, which is really a little bit about how the humans were domesticated. You know how cats are! And the last story was about parallel couples (the king and his wife; a butterfly and his wife) caught in four-way power struggles. There's a whole lot going on in that tale which on the surface just seems like a funny story about a butterfly stomping his little feet.
[image error]

The whole collection is filled with great imagery, great characters, great rhythmic language, and great silly-seriousness.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just So Stories.