Michaela's Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Nov 30, 2011

bookshelves: favorites
Read in December, 2010 — I own a copy , read count: Like...5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.

Quotes Michaela Liked

Lauren Oliver
“My heart is drumming in my chest so hard it aches, but it's the good kind of ache, like the feeling you get on the first real day of autumn, when the air is crisp and the leaves are all flaring at the edges and the wind smells just vaguely of smoke - like the end and the beginning of something all at once.”

Lauren Oliver
“We stand there for a moment, looking at each other, and in that instant I feel our connection so strongly it's as though it achieves physical existence, becomes a hand all around us, cupping us together, protecting us. This is what people are always talking about when they talk about god: this feeling, of being held and understood and protected. feeling this way seems about as close to saying a prayer as you could get...”

Lauren Oliver
“I love you. Remember. They cannot take it”

Lauren Oliver
“The most dangerous sicknesses are those that make us believe we are well”

Lauren Oliver
“It's so strange how life works: You want something and you wait and wait and feel like it's taking forever to come. Then it happens and it's over and all you want to do is curl back up in that moment before things changed.”

Lauren Oliver
“Love: It will kill you and save you, both”

Lauren Oliver
“And now I know why they invented words for love, why they had to: It's the only thing that can come close to describing what I feel in that moment, the baffling mixture of pain and pleasure and fear and joy, all running sharply through me at once.”
tags: love

Lauren Oliver
“You can't be happy unless you're unhappy sometimes".”

Lauren Oliver
“Everything looks beautiful. The Book of Shhh says that deliria alters your perception, disables your ability to reason clearly, impairs you from making sound judgments. But it does not tell you this: that love will turn the whole world into something greater than itself.”

Lauren Oliver
“I've been so used to thinking of what the borders are keeping out that I haven't considered that they're also penning us in.”

Lauren Oliver
“One of the strangest things about life is that it will chug on, blind and oblivious, even as your private world - your little carved-out sphere - is twisting and morphing, even breaking apart. One day you have parents; the next day you're an orphan. One day you have a place and a path. The next day you're lost in the wilderness.
And still the sun rises and clouds mass and drift and people shop for groceries and toilets flush and blinds go up and down. That's when you realize that most of it - life, the relentless mechanism of existing - isn't about you. It doesn't include you at all. It will thrust onward even after you've jumped the edge. Even after you're dead.”

Lauren Oliver
“They say the cure is about happiness, but I understand now that it isn't, and it never was. It's about fear: fear of pain, fear of hurt, fear, fear, fear - a blind animal existence, bumping between walls, shuffling between ever-narrowing hallways, terrified and dull and stupid.”

Lauren Oliver
“It’s us against them, three against countless thousands. But for some reason, and even though it’s absurd, at that moment I feel pretty damn good about our odds.”

Lauren Oliver
“Snapshots, moments, mere seconds: as fragile and beautiful and hopeless as a single butterfly, flapping on against a gathering wind.”

Lauren Oliver
“Hate isn’t the most dangerous thing, he’d said. Indifference is.”

Lauren Oliver
“I guess that’s just part of loving people: You have to give things up. Sometimes you even have to give them up.”

Lauren Oliver
“I know that the whole point—the only point—is to
find the things that matter, and hold on to them, and fight for them, and refuse to
let them go.”

Lauren Oliver
“It occurs to me that for a long time she has been doing
her own version of resisting.”

Lauren Oliver
“It's like a razor blade edging its way through my organs, shredding me, all I can think is: It will kill me, it will kill me, it will kill me. And I don't care.”

Lauren Oliver
“Love: a single word, a wispy thing, a word no bigger or longer than an edge. That's what it is: an edge; a razor. It draws up through the center of your life, cutting everything in two. Before and after. The rest of the world falls away on either side.”

Lauren Oliver
“I'd rather die my way than live yours.”

Lauren Oliver
“I run for I don't know how long. Hours, maybe, or days. Alex told me to run. So I run. You have to understand. I am no one special. I am just a single girl. I am five feet two inches tall and I am in-between in every way. But I have a secret. You can build walls all the way to the sky and I will find a way to fly above them. You can try to pin me down with a hundred thousand arms, but I will find a way to resist. And there are many of us out there, more than you think. People who refuse to stop believing. People who refuse to come to earth. People who love in a world without walls, people who love into hate, into refusal, against hope,and without fear. I love you. Remember. They cannot take it.”

Lauren Oliver
“I know that life isn't life if you just float through it. I know that the whole point- the only point- is to find the things that matter and hold onto them and fight for them and refuse to let them go.”

Lauren Oliver
“Everyone is asleep. They've all been asleep for years. You seemed ... awake.' Alex is whispering now. He closes his eyes, opens them again.'I'm tired of sleeping.”

Lauren Oliver
“Hearts are fragile things. That's why you have to be so careful.”

Lauren Oliver
“I said, I prefer the ocean when it's gray. Or not really gray. A pale, in-between color. It reminds me of waiting for something good to happen.”

Lauren Oliver
“It's amazing how words can do that, just shred your insides apart. Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me - such bullshit.”

Lauren Oliver
“That's all I want. Just you and me. Always.”

Lauren Oliver
“He who leaps for the sky may fall, it's true. But he may also fly.”

Lauren Oliver
“Now I'd rather be infected with love for the tiniest sliver of a second than live a hundred years smothered by a lie.”
tags: love

Lauren Oliver
“My stomach gets that hollowed-out feeling. It's amazing how words can do that, just shred your insides apart.”