Yulia's Reviews > The Art of Fielding

The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach

Dec 07, 11

Read from December 03 to 04, 2011

Certainly the best book to come from one of the founders of n+1, the others being Indecision by Benjamin Kunkel and All the Sad Young Literary Men by Keith Gessen. Harbach said this book, his first, took him nine years to write and his effort paid off. The main characters are all very sympathetic and engaging and there's a reality to their reactions to the situations they confront that I found very realistic.

A review I read compared Harbach's voice to Franzen but I don't think there's nearly as much anger in it, which I appreciated: Harbach made his points without ever ranting and raging. Actually, I sensed that Harbach might be a big Haruki Murakami fan, but it's just a lurking suspicion due to the attention he gives to the details of everyday life (eating, dish washing, peeing, bathing).

I'd definitely recommend this book, but I'm holding back from saying I loved it. Perhaps it was too controlled an effort for that, though it seems unfair to hold its consistency against it.
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Fielding.

Comments (showing 1-7)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 7: by Al (new) - rated it 4 stars

Al Love to hear what you think when finished. Probably worth opening a thread on it, as I know Barb Moors has also read it and probably others too

Yulia I'll definitely do that.

Tajma Yulia, based on your review I'm going to move this way up on my TBR list.

Yulia Eeks, I hope I've done my impression of the book justice.

message 3: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue Nice review Yulia which gave a really nice impression of the book. (and I don't mean the "damning with faint praise" kind of nice)

Fiona Hocking And doesn't Pella pick up the newist Murakami book to read at some stage?

Yulia She did!