Cassie's Reviews > The Night I Disappeared

The Night I Disappeared by Julie Reece Deaver

Jan 18, 12

bookshelves: absolute-favorites, childhood, own, reviewed, good-ya-books
Read in January, 2004

This was one of my favorite books while in junior high/high school. It's a psychological thriller that kept me on the edge of my seat until the very last page.

Jaime has never fit in at her boarding school. The only one who seems to understand her is her boyfriend, Webb, whom she meets up with as often as possible after school. But when her mother, who's a lawyer, has to travel to Chicago for a high-profile case, Jaime is dragged along, leaving Webb behind for the first time since she was a child.
Once in Chicago, she doesn't see much of her mom, and spends much of her time alone. And then things start getting strange. While on a bike ride through the city, she suddenly sees Webb riding along with her. This break from reality sends her hurtling into a car and to the hospital with some mild injuries, and she manages to shrug the situation off.
But the hallucinations get worse, and more frequent, tearing her away from the real world and into the arms of Webb, until one night, set off by a particularly gruesome crime scene photo from her mother's case, Jaime is sent into a hallucination and unable to find her way out.
In order to find her sanity, she'll have to explore the horrors of her past which have lay hidden in the back of her mind, and discover the truth about who Webb really is.

The plot is hypnotically suspenseful. The bizarre events which Jaime experiences, including her having an entire conversation with Webb in a courtroom, keep the heat turned all the way up throughout the entire thing. I strongly suggest this to anyone who wants a quick and thrilling read. I read it when I was in about sixth grade, but I re-read it in tenth and still enjoyed it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night I Disappeared.