Sesana's Reviews > Crisis on Infinite Earths

Crisis on Infinite Earths by Marv Wolfman

Crisis on Infinite Earths is unquestionably a landmark moment in the history of DC, and comics in general. At this point, the expectations for new readers are either sky-high or in the basement. The reality is somewhere in between.

First of all, this is such a product of its time that it's kind of funny. Lots of dated posturing, dated art, and really dated character designs. But the art really is quite good, for the time. And the concept is ambitious enough that I'm able to forgive quite a bit in execution. But it's also repetitive and neck deep in exposition. It's a long book, and it feels it. But it sure was a heck of an idea.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crisis on Infinite Earths.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

J.M. You're absolutely right about the art being good. George Perez was one of the top names in the industry at the time this came out and, for my penny's worth, he's still every bit as amazing. That may be also, of course, because I met him in the early '90s at a local comic shop, and he spent well over an hour talking to this then-21-year-old-kid with lofty dreams of being a comic book artist himself. Good times.

Appreciate the review!

Sesana I probably should have mentioned it in the review, but Perez's art can be quite expressive. I think Crisis would have fallen a lot flatter without it.