Sara ♥'s Reviews > The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever

Jan 13, 12

bookshelves: romance, books-i-own, historical, 2011
Read from July 02 to 03, 2011, read count: 2

July 2-3, 2011

You know, I think I liked this book better the second time. Perhaps because I knew the general premise already, so I knew what I was getting myself into. Unrequited love isn't my favorite type of love story, after all. And I'm not sure the review below does the book justice.

Miranda Cheever has been in love with Nigel Bevelstoke (called "Turner") for 10 years, since she was 10 and he was 19. At first, of course, it was a childhood infatuation, but she's found that as she's gotten older, her love for him has matured as well. The problem is that a while ago (it never really says how long), Turner married a woman who took stomped all over his heart and left him broken in a lot of bitter little pieces. He thought he loved her (although I think it was infatuation, personally), and so he's REALLY REALLY REALLY not interested in getting involved with anyone right now. Or maybe ever. Oh, and she's dead, by the way. Chapter 1 opens at her funeral. She was an über-witch-with-a-b.

But then Miranda, his little sister's best friend (who was always a little girl in his eyes), seems to be around all the time, and is quite easy to talk to and is a woman now. And suddenly he realizes that he's REALLY attracted to her. Which would be lovely if she was someone he could dally with, but she's a virginal debutante!

Anyway, the story takes some turns that I sure didn't think it was going to take (being a woman of really bad memory, I totally didn't remember). Turner kinda irked me... I mean, he had good intentions, but he didn't follow through the way he should have... And I thought she forgave him too easily. Although, no she didn't. But I dunno. I felt like her "love" for him was a bit childish still. *shrugs* But it was cute, and I'm glad things worked out for them!

June 26, 2007

I'm lazy right now. This is from Amazon:

"Miranda Cheever fell in love with the aristocratic Nigel Bevelstoke, Viscount Turner, when she was 10 and he 19. Now 20, and still in love, Miranda's designs are thwarted by the indiscretions of Nigel's late wife. Nigel isn't willing to risk another shot at love, even if it means hurting his close friend Miranda. Quinn's pitch-perfect humor remains intact, but her latest relies too much on romance conventions, including Miranda's scholarly but benignly neglectful father; an even more overused device involves Turner's hot-and-cold feelings toward Miranda, which reduce the heroine to tears more than once. However, the two make a lovable couple, and Miranda in particular shines, as do Turner's two siblings in strong secondary roles. Though a bit stale, this well-written, often funny and occasionally tender romance has much to enjoy."

It wasn't Julia's BEST, but The Viscount Who Loved Me is just SO DANG GOOD, it's hard to compare anything else to it...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever.

07/04/2011 page 373