Morgan's Reviews > The Iron Queen

The Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa

Jan 04, 12

bookshelves: ya-fantasy
Read from December 31, 2011 to January 03, 2012, read count: 1

If I had a way to rate it, I would give the first half of the book 2 stars and the final half of the 3.5. The problem with the first half? The protagonist's seemingly endless anguished whining.

Part of me wants to cut Meghan Chase some slack. At 17 years old, I imagine I did some anguished whining myself, but I hope it was never to this extent. Over and over, the same internal dialog keeps coming up but she doesn't DO anything with it, never seems to make a decision or take action. I'm all for anguish every once in a while, but stagnant anguishing is too much. Every other character in the book seems to have their minds made up and a direction they are heading. Except Meghan Chase. But that is only the first half of the book.

In the second, which I enjoyed much more, we finally get a break from the anguished whining and what was obvious to everyone else finally becomes clear to our protagonist. We get to see some previously mentioned characters from books 1 and 2 make considerable contributions to this story, and I enjoyed the set up for the fourth book - Iron Knight - without a gimmicky cliffhanger.

I have high hopes that there will be a lot less whining in book 4, as it is written from the perspective of Ash's character. There may be pining, and longing, and struggling, but my fingers are crossed for a lot less whining.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Queen.