Kate's Reviews > The Courtship of the Vicar's Daughter

Dec 02, 2011

bookshelves: christian, historical-fiction, romance
Recommended to Kate by: Linda Maloney
Read from November 26 to December 01, 2011

I just finished this book and found myself wishing it wasn't over! Such a beautifully written book, and a large but well-developed cast of characters.

I have to say, the book didn't engage me at first. This is the second in the series, and not having read the first, I had trouble keeping track of all the characters. Along with that comes my one complaint about the book: I really wish there was a list of the characters at the beginning to help the reader know who's related to whom and that sort of thing. But this would almost certainly be solved by reading the first book (The Widow of Larkspur Inn) first, which I intend to do as soon as possible! :)

As I said, there's a large cast of characters, all well-developed and relatable, if not necessarily likable ;) The plot follows the development of three romances: the courtship of the vicar's daughter Elizabeth, as mentioned in the title, is perhaps the main one. Then there's the efforts of Squire Bartley to win over Mrs. Kingston. But my favorite is the relationship between Mercy Sanders and newcomer Seth Langford!

Many other subplots are also enjoyable: the experiences of Philip Hollis at boarding school, the upcoming wedding of the vicar and the innkeeper (continued from the first book), and countless other minor threads that all pull together to round out the story beautifully.

I also loved how the author sprinkled in biblical references and often used Mrs. Kingston in particular to point out various situations mirrored stories from the Bible, or how such lessons could be applied in daily life. The spiritual themes of the book are clear and inspiring, and woven into the plot quite smoothly.

I would definitely recommend this book to fans of inspirational romances, historical fiction, or just plain delightful books :)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Courtship of the Vicar's Daughter.