Jennifer's Reviews > The Egypt Game

The Egypt Game by Zilpha Keatley Snyder

Nov 30, 11

Read in November, 2011

I recall a teacher reading this book, but couldn't quite remember much else. I love Egypt and everything that comes with it. It's a unique culture from a different time, filled with pharaohs, pyramids, and mummies. And the children in this story are equally enthralled with Egyptology.

They go to the library to research it, role play pharaohs, gods, and servants. They even play Egyptians for Halloween. But, while they are having fun...a murderer is on the loose who kills children. The children's parents don't allow them to play outside as much, for fear of having their children killed. But, children know how to sneak out of their rooms at night. Will all of the children stay safe? Read this book to find out.

Unfortunately, this book doesn't appeal to me much after the first two chapters. It's filled with the children role-playing. And, the 20 children who went to my library's book club agreed. A book related to ancient Egyptian culture would have been more appealing if they were time-traveling to Egypt or perhaps a book about children who lived in ancient Egypt. But, a book about kids playing doesn't cut it. If the author chose to play off of the murders more, it could have a different excitement entirely. Perhaps taking that route would have been too scary?

Not everyone agrees with me though, this book was awarded the Newbery Honor around 1967.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Egypt Game.