Sue's Reviews > V is for Vengeance

V is for Vengeance by Sue Grafton

F 50x66
Nov 30, 11

Read in November, 2011

This was the first Kinsey Millhone novel (that I remember) using chapter POVs for different characters. It took me by surprise until I realized what Grafton was doing and could set the characters in their roles. I think it was an excellent way to get backstory on the main characters. On that note, as much as I enjoy the stories and Kinsey herself, do I really need to know every step she takes in making a hot egg sandwich or in getting ready for bed? To me, that's filler required by her publisher to bulk up the book and does not move the story along at all.

The story involved some pretty shady characters and one very bad police officer. I wonder how the illicit operation could continue for so long in a relatively small community, albeit under investigation on several levels. The head of the operation came off as a good guy, Grafton's intent I'm sure. The amoral/immoral actions of some of the main characters were put into perspective, with just the right amount of righteous indignation shown through dialog rather than pounded into the reader's consciousness via long-winded exposition.

I am always pleased with the way Grafton wraps the stories at the end. This particular novel had a wrap-up that exceeded most and when I finished the story, I was not left on the precipice. And it was a darn good ending! My biggest complaint? What took months/years to get to the bookstore took me two days to read and now I have to wait again.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read V is for Vengeance.