Sophia's Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Apr 22, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, owned, dystopian, fiction, all-time-favorite
Read from April 19 to 21, 2012 — I own a copy

I’d started reading the book thrice since I really wanted to finish it in one sitting. I almost succeeded. Almost. Honestly, at first, I’m in doubt reading Delirium thinking that perhaps it wouldn’t live up my expectations on Oliver’s Before I Fall .

When I first heard the concept of LOVE or amor deliria nervosa as a disease sounded preposterous to me. But when the symptoms of amor deliria nervosa are explained it really does sound like a disease. And hey, it’s a dystopian!

As seen in many dystopias, it always has something to do with an oppressive government taking away the freedom of the society. In Delirium, the added horror of a society is that to believe that love is a disease and that they have found the cure. A cure which all citizens must submit to, on the day they turned eighteen. That is the world of Lena Haloway.

Again, Lauren Oliver does an amazing job at pin pointing the feelings of Love. The writing itself is both thrilling and hypnotizing. Once you get hooked to it you wouldn’t be able to stop. I’m not sure how Oliver’s readers stand waiting for the next book, Pandemonium. It had one of the most the most amazing, intense, heart-wrenching endings I’d encountered. I'll continue reading Hana: A Delirium Short Story then Pandemonium.

“Love, the deadliest of all deadly things: it kills you both when you have it and when you don’t.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.

Quotes Sophia Liked

Lauren Oliver
“The most dangerous sicknesses are those that make us believe we are well”

Lauren Oliver
“You can't be happy unless you're unhappy sometimes".”

Lauren Oliver
“The deadliest of all deadly things: It kills you both when you have it and
when you don’t.”

Lauren Oliver
“Love: a single word, a wispy thing, a word no bigger or longer than an edge. That's what it is: an edge; a razor. It draws up through the center of your life, cutting everything in two. Before and after. The rest of the world falls away on either side.”

04/19/2012 page 303
69.0% "After restarting reading the book thrice because I couldn't simply read it in one sitting but I really want to. And now I do. Almost."

Diane The idea of 'love as a disease' is really corny but I have to admit that I really want to read this. :P I'll wait for your review of Pandemonium before I decide if I'll read it.

Sophia Diane wrote: "The idea of 'love as a disease' is really corny but I have to admit that I really want to read this. :P I'll wait for your review of Pandemonium before I decide if I'll read it."

It may take a while before I start reading on Pandemonium. I just feel like reading a contemporary novel for now. :)

Diane Its okay. I'll still wait. I trust your taste. naks :D I really want to read this book but I don't want to buy it then hate it afterwards.