Michelle Robinson's Reviews > The Post-College Guide to Happiness

The Post-College Guide to Happiness by Bryan Cohen

F 50x66
Nov 30, 2011

bookshelves: first-reads

I won this book as a Goodreads First. I am currently a PhD graduate student so many of the issues addressed in the book, (time and energy management, taking out work related stressors on your significant other, pursuit of education vs the "need" of a large salary) pertained to me. I had never considered myself unhappy, and I still don't, but following the current path of your life for the wrong reasons can make you feel down and not appreciate what this world has to offer, and I believe that is what that book has taught me. Being in graduate school I will spend anywhere from 40-70 hours a week at work and that adds a lot of extra stress on me which I tend to take out on my boyfriend or family. In addition my mind is always racing right up until I go to bed trying to plan the next day ahead of me or reviewing all of the tasks I completed at the end of the day. While I have not implemented all of the assignments at the end of each section into my daily routine, recognizing there is a problem has really helped me to become aware of what I have become and how to fix it. For example, just leaving a note to have a good day to a loved one or breathing when things become overwhelming and meditating at the end of the to clear you head have really set me in the right direction so far. I will definitely be referring back to the text as negative feeling creep up and I need a healthy release after a longs day of work. Good book!!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Post-College Guide to Happiness.