Kimy's Reviews > The Golden Hour

F_50x66
Jan 09, 12

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from January 02 to 07, 2012

I won The Golden Hour by Margaret Wurtele through a Goodreads First Reads Giveaway. As many 17 year olds, Giovanna makes a few bad decisions. Overall she is doing the best she can. Even when she knows what she is doing probably isn’t he best idea, like meeting the German Officer, she thinks it will work out. She shows bravery when she decides to help her brothers and the other soldiers fighting with the Allies. If the German soldiers find out, Giovanna will be taken away to a concentration camp or killed.

Giovanna’s parents bother me a bit. Her mother comes from a wealthy background but marries someone beneath her station. She acts like a beaten woman. She does not stand up for her daughter. I understand she is grieving and worried for Giovanna’s brother, but in the meantime she is not doing what she can for Giovanna. Her father fell in love and married someone well above his station. He convinced her father to let them marry. But he was not understanding about who Giovanna wanted to marry. It seemed like he was being hypocritical.

I will probably read this book again because I enjoyed the characters. There are a few parts that seem slow, but then it picks up. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Golden Hour.