Eva's Reviews > The Art of Happiness

The Art of Happiness by Dalai Lama XIV

3196546
Nov 30, 2011

bookshelves: buddhism, non-fiction

I was going through Amazon's recommendations on buddhism, desperately looking for a Pema Chodron inspiring book when I stumbled on the catchy title "The Art of Happiness" by the Dalai Lama or should I say Howard C. Cutler. Cutler is a psychiatrist interviewing the Dalai Lama, he's actually the author of the book. That being said (sorry if I felt it was really necessary to mention it), Cutler compiled his many interviews with the Dalai Lama with his own perception as a western psychiatrist. How to truly be happy, how to avoid suffering, how to overcome the feeling of failure, how to practice kindness every day...he raises all the questions necessary for people to feel happy in everyday life comparing his actual experiences of therapy sessions with real life dilemmas to the buddhist philosophy on happiness.
This book could be read as an introduction to buddhism all the while it sums up the general philosophy on social interaction, outlook on life, perception of other human beings...
Cutler is a great narrator probably as much as he must be a great psychiatrist. He questions himself, wonders if he acted right with his clients...he adapts himself to the Dalai Lama with virtuosity and shows how we all can make efforts in order to change our perception on other human beings. This book is a great inspiration whether you consider yourself a buddhist or not. It cannot harm to read about being kind, compassionate, and make the best you can to be happy. Reading "the art of happiness" will give you some tools to achieve these goals.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Happiness.