Kristine's Reviews > The Crown

The Crown by Nancy Bilyeau

Dec 08, 11

Read in November, 2011

This was a Goodreads Giveaway. Thank you!

I love historical fiction. I especially love Tudor England. I’ve read Margaret George, Philippa Gregory and Antonia Fraser. So I wanted to like this book. Unfortunately, I found the characters and the storyline to be a bit weak. It was hard to believe that novices and friars would find breaking their vows, sneaking around the Tower, manipulating people, and lying so easy. The author didn’t show us how difficult these decisions must have been. I could read between the lines and get it, but I wanted the author to show me. I never felt a connection with the characters, in particular, the protagonist, Sister Joanna.

The story was also rather predicable. There were some fun twists in the sub plots but the main story line ended where the reader thinks it would. If you don’t have much interest in or knowledge of this particular historical period, you may enjoy this novel as a simple who-done-it, and you may learn a thing or two. There is certainly enough action to make this a page-turner. It just wasn’t for me.
1 like • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crown.