Carol's Reviews > The Dog Who Danced

The Dog Who Danced by Susan  Wilson

Dec 10, 11

bookshelves: 2011, dog-cat-bird
Read from November 30 to December 10, 2011

I usually cry when reading a book about a dog. This time, tears were cascading down my face. Those were tears of happiness instead of sorrow. I don’t know how Susan Wilson did it, but she created the perfect ending!

In ‘The Dog Who Danced’, the dog, Mack has his share of telling the story but it is as the author could get inside the dog and know he perceives the world. Most importantly through the sense of smell and without the benefit of some abilities like place orientation, Susan Wilson excels at portraying a dog's thoughts.

I fell in love with Mack and wanted him to come out of the book and be my dog! I have always admired shelties. I have seen freestyle dancing with dogs in competitions but these books takes you inside what it means for the dog to do this.

This book is more than a dog book though; it is one of mystery, sorrow and forgiveness. There are two central women. Justine Meade is the first one we meet. She lost her mother at a very young age, so young that she couldn’t remember very much about her. Her father married the woman next door, the evil step mother and her life felt snuffed out from then on. She lost an emotional connection with her father; her father now loved Paul, her step brother. Paul was the son that her father always wanted and never had. Her step mother, Adele, was cold and demanding. She talked all the time but never said the important words that a step daughter craves.

Justine got married very young and had a son, Tony. She hasn’t seen him for years either. Why did this relationship fail?

When Justine gets a call that her father, who she had not seen for so long, is dying, she doesn’t want to go but her friend persuades her to go. Since she is broke, she cannot afford to fly there and pays $300 to a truck driver to go from California to her parent’s home out east. When she has to go to restroom to wash the dust out of her hair and body, the truck driver takes off. He has her dog, Mack in the back but he doesn’t realize it. Justine panics and is desperate to find her dog. Her dog is her only companion, her only close friend.

An elderly couple find Mack and though they didn’t intend that, established a bond with Mack who they called Buddy. Their marriage was lifeless. They had a daughter in the past. What happened to her? The description of their life is done through their actions and lack of actions. They really need this dog to help them learn how to continue with their lives. You will want to push this couple together as Mack/Buddy did.
Mack/Buddy is the sheltie that you will love. He is polite, gentle, intelligent and loving. He even knows how to dance.

‘The Dog Who Danced ‘is a page turner and emotional wringer, especially at the end. Who will live/love this book? Anyone who loves dogs has had a broken family relationship or enjoys a great story. This book will make you look at shelties with wonder and think about ways to heal broken relationships.

I received this book from Amazon Vine, but that in no way influenced my review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dog Who Danced.

12/05/2011 page 13