Cassandra (The Huge Anime Fan)'s Reviews > Calico

Calico by Allison Bruning

Jul 20, 13

bookshelves: young-adult, received-for-review, paranormal, fiction, favorites, romance
Recommended for: Young Aduts, Adults, Mature Adolescents
Read in November, 2011

Full, non-spoiler review courtesy at Book & Movie Dimension a Blog

An engrossing read from the start is in order. For a reader, that on most times have no real contact with Indian tribe values this book is a great start in reading with paranormal touches. This story isn't about Indians particularly the Shawnee's. No, its a fictional story touching up on historical events. As early American colonists head to expanding in the New World of America, they of course, encounter Indians. Of all of them, the Shawnee are the most highly strict practitioners of the old ways. As so, they don't let any outsiders into their society especially white people. Although, they make an exception for the family of Calico Marie Lutree Turner and her family.

The Lutree Turner family has a messy past. Calico's mother,Anna, from a young age was abused sexually by her father a British lord. Her brother, Alexander, being her molester against her will too because of their cruel father. Through time, they find themselves a way to escape. Thanks, to François a French fur trader who she falls in love with a new family emerges. Helping Anna to heal the family wounds of the past are also the Shawnee Indians that have been close to Francois and welcome Anna as well as a daughter. Just as things seem great, her husband catches an illness and infects her with it also. Leaving her daughters, Calico and Rose orphans. The Shawnee take them up out of love for them as a family. Rose and Calico grow up in the midst of the Shawnee but a prophecy threatens Calico's life. A great evil seeks to destroy her. Calico's spirit guide swears to protect her.

As Calico grows up the evil of prophecy emerges but she can't reveal it for the reason that doing so will rip apart her Shawnee way of life. In doing so, she pushes away the warrior mentioned in prophecy that wants to rescue her from the evil that she can't defeat by herself.

What a lovely portrayal is Calico of the Shawnee way of life. From the story narration we see various character's point of views that highlight all that was that type of way of life. It also points out the hatred at times of the white people toward tribal life. There are great moments filled with romance that is both sweet and hot. The romantic scenes also touch along several sexual encounters that are heart-warming but not overtly graphic. All these things are very pleasant to come across but what's the best is the paranormal chips in Calico that stand out, so brightly with the created myth of "Our Grandmother" and other spirit guides of what's surely Shawnee lore.

Highly recommend for quite a few reasons from its historical fiction and its paranormal instances. Tribal language and other characters' language can be heard in the writing itself further supplementing the genius of the whole novel. While the introduction was not all a bad start it's toward the middle portion and until the end that its entirety grapples your attention. The creativity in myth which has hardly been used in recent years is by far a big bonus!
For This Review: *Book Copy Provided For Review by Author*

Overall: Amazing read!
Genre: Historical Fiction, Paranormal, Shawnee Indians Way Of Life
Recommend Ages: 17 and Up
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Calico.

message 1: by Cassandra (The Huge Anime Fan) (last edited Jul 20, 2013 09:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cassandra (The Huge Anime Fan) Ellen wrote: "I don't think you got this right and I disagree with you. This author's book, Calico, was very poorly written and hard to focus on a central plot. I don't think I will recommend Calico to anyone. A..."

No offense but I'm aware that others may or not like it and as I stated on my blog (where this book review was first posted) this is just my opinion. Others will always find things to hate about certain books, so feel free to have your own opinion but I stand by my opinion. While I read I was very immersed and truly enjoyed myself.

Everyone has their own views so it may not have been great for you but for others like me it was an interesting read.